- 1 Cup White Refined Sugar
- 4 Cups Water
- Boil the water
- Mix white refined sugar in boiling water until it dissolves.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let it cool.
- Fill the bird feeder with the mixture.
- Store extra food in a Mason jar in the refrigerator
- Hang the feeder at a place that is accessible by the hummingbirds.
Use white sugar to make this solution as honey can promote dangerous fungal growth. Also, don’t use organic, raw, or natural sugars as their iron levels can be detrimental to hummingbirds. Do not use red dye.
In hot weather empty and clean your feeder twice a week.