Green Goddess Dressing
Everyone has their version of this savory green dressing, whose origin dates back to the Palace Hotel in 1923, as a tribute to the play, The Green Goddess. Full of vitamin packed ingredients, this tangy herb dressing adds a colorful zip and zing to salads, veggies, and sandwiches.
Many enjoy this popular salad dressing today, though it might hold more meaning to learn the history for the original recipe before drizzling it over your plate. George Arliss, the lead of the successful William Archer play "The Green Goddess", stayed at the Palace Hotel, while performing the show during its run in San Francisico. To honor him, both as an actor and a regular diner of the hotel's luxurious Palm Court Restaurant, Chef Philip Roemer created a salad dressing using the name of the show.
Just as the original play itself was later adapted into a movie and radio drama, many iterations of the Green Goddess Dressing have developed over the years. Chef Roemer's original was a creamy herb dressing that contained mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, anchovies, lemon juice and vinegar. After the successful run it experienced between the 1920s and 1980s, the salad dressing began to fade from menus. Today, there is an updated version of the recipe, using less cream and more herbs, that is still served at the original restaurant, though it is now referred to as the Palace Court.
Since it seems everyone has their own spin on this well known recipe, we at reCAP Mason Jars are happy to share our own!
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh chives, chopped
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 green jalapeño, seeds and flesh removed (or keep them to make the dressing VERY spicy), minced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon(s) honey
- 5.3 ounce(s) container Greek style yogurt
- 1/3 cup(s) olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Begin by preparing and chopping your ingredients – this makes putting the dressing together much easier, especially when blending. To a blender or rocket blender, add the avocado, cilantro, chives, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and honey. Blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the blended green mixture, then add the mayonnaise and yogurt. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Once well mixed, you can add 1 – 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to thin out the dressing and add an extra component of flavor. This is optional.
- Store and pour the finished dressing using The Original reCAP® Mason Jars pour cap!