Green Goddess Dressing
Everyone has their version of this savory green dressing, whose origin dates back to the Palace Hotel in 1923, as a tribute to the play, The Green Goddess. Full of vitamin packed ingredients, this tangy herb dressing adds a colorful zip and zing to salads, veggies, and sandwiches.
Many enjoy this popular salad dressing today, though it might hold more meaning to learn the history for the original recipe before drizzling it over your plate. George Arliss, the lead of the successful William Archer play "The Green Goddess", stayed at the Palace Hotel, while performing the show during its run in San Francisico. To honor him, both as an actor and a regular diner of the hotel's luxurious Palm Court Restaurant, Chef Philip Roemer created a salad dressing using the name of the show.
Just as the original play itself was later adapted into a movie and radio drama, many iterations of the Green Goddess Dressing have developed over the years. Chef Roemer's original was a creamy herb dressing that contained mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, anchovies, lemon juice and vinegar. After the successful run it experienced between the 1920s and 1980s, the salad dressing began to fade from menus. Today, there is an updated version of the recipe, using less cream and more herbs, that is still served at the original restaurant, though it is now referred to as the Palace Court.
Since it seems everyone has their own spin on this well known recipe, we at reCAP Mason Jars are happy to share our own!
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh chives, chopped
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 green jalapeño, seeds and flesh removed (or keep them to make the dressing VERY spicy), minced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon(s) honey
- 5.3 ounce(s) container Greek style yogurt
- 1/3 cup(s) olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Begin by preparing and chopping your ingredients – this makes putting the dressing together much easier, especially when blending. To a blender or rocket blender, add the avocado, cilantro, chives, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and honey. Blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the blended green mixture, then add the mayonnaise and yogurt. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Once well mixed, you can add 1 – 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to thin out the dressing and add an extra component of flavor. This is optional.
- Store and pour the finished dressing using The Original reCAP® Mason Jars pour cap!
|Retail USA Shipping||$4.99 per order.||Free shipping over $30.00|
Flat Rate US Shipping $4.99
Free US Shipping over $30
reCAP products are packaged and shipped from Erie, PA, and we make every effort to ensure your order is packaged securely and shipped promptly. Products typically ship within two business days via the United States Postal Service.
Our fulfillment center operates Monday-Friday and ships product 24-48 hours of order placement. The delivery estimate begins upon order fulfillment. Carriers are not guaranteeing on-time delivery at this time.
US customers, please notify us within 14 days from your order date if you do not receive your package.
Shipping costs are non-refundable for undelivered, unclaimed or returned packages unless there is a merchant error. We are not responsible for damages incurred during shipping or for packages delivered to an incorrect address. Orders typically ship within two business days.
For consumer protection, all orders are subject to review, including credit card authorization and address verification. As a result, on occasion there may be a slight delay in order processing; your patience is greatly appreciated. While Mason Jars Company works closely with its vendors to ensure timely shipment of your order, various factors can impact the carrier's ability to deliver within the expected time frame, including your location, weather, the carrier, holidays, and other unforeseen events that may delay shipping time.
Retail customers will receive free shipping on any order over $30.
Customers may return new, unopened items at their own expense within 30 days of delivery for a full product refund (shipping costs on the order are not refunded). Items should be returned in their original product packaging. Shipping return costs will be refunded only if the return is a result of a merchant error.
Refunds will not be given after 30 days, unless there is a proven product defect. If a product is believed to be defective, a picture showing the defective item with the order number sent to Contact@masonjars.com is necessary in order to complete the refund transaction. Mason Jars Company reserves the right to update or modify the terms of the Exchange & Return Policy at any time.