DIY Citrus Enzyme Cleaner and Scrub with Fermentation
We were looking for a DIY citrus enzyme cleaner and have found the perfect one. These simple instructions for making your own homemade enzyme cleaner using citrus peels are only a few steps and can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months to be ready.
When we found we could make our own enzyme cleaner using a fermentation process we were excited to try. It's natural and nontoxic, made from fruit scraps that would normally just go in the compost, and it works! We got our inspiration for trying this cleaner by One Good Thing by Jillee.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 2 Cups Citrus Peels
- 1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Cups Water
- Half Gallon Mason Jar
- reCAP POUR Lid and Waterless Airlock for fermenting
- 1 tsp Yeast optional
- 1 Cup Baking Soda
First, add the brown sugar and room temperature filtered water to the Mason jar and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved. Then add the citrus peels to the Mason jar and stir again. If adding yeast add it now and stir it in. Stir the mixture every day for the first week to 2 weeks until all pieces of the peels are submerged all of the time. Finish by topping it with a lid and fermenter. The process will take 3 months without yeast and 2 - 3 weeks with yeast.
Enzyme Cleaner Paste
When the cleaner is complete remove the citrus peels and add them to a food processor. Run for 20-40 seconds. Then add in one cup of baking soda and turn on the food processor until you get the consistency you like. This paste can be stored in a Mason jar in the refrigerator for 1- 2 months. The paste can be used for cleaning anything from sinks to bathrooms.
Liquid Enzyme Cleaner
The liquid enzyme cleaner can be stored under your sink in a Mason jar. We suggest using a reCAP POUR lid and storing it with the flipper not being fully closed so any fermentation gases can escape and will not build up.
This liquid can be used for many things:
*Be sure to test on a small area of anything you are going to clean to be sure cleaner does not harm the surface.
- Multi-Purpose Cleaner (Half cup cleaner/4 Cups Water)
- Removing Pet Odors from Carpet (3 parts cleaner/1 Part Water)
- Floor Mop Solution (1 Part Cleaner to 20 Parts Water)
- Bathroom and Toliet Cleaner (1 Part Cleaner to 10 Parts Water)
- Clear Blockages in sinks (Undiluted)
- For Maintenance to keep sinks clog-free 2 to 3 tbsp cleaner once a week (Undiluted)
- Clean Fruits and Veggies (1 Part Cleaner/10 Parts Water)
- Insect Repellent for ants and other insects (Undiluted)
- Car Wash (1 part Cleaner/20 parts water)