Chocolate Maple Zucchini Donuts with reCAP Mason Jars
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 18 donuts
From The Mighty Mrs:
One of our guilty pleasures is grabbing a package of chocolate glazed donuts from the bakery section as an easy breakfast for the kids and a change of pace from their cereal/pancake/oatmeal rotation. Inevitably, the Mr. and I always eat one too, let’s be honest. Once I realized this was becoming more of a habit than an occasional indulgence, the wheels started turning. How could we still enjoy our donuts but in a healthier way?
Alas, zucchinis to the rescue. Zucchinis blend in really well with any baked food. They don’t have an extremely distinct flavor and they provide some much needed moisture. My fam loves my chocolate zucchini bread, so as you can imagine, that’s where the evolution of the Chocolate Maple Zucchini Donuts began. And by evolution I mean, not really that different at all. These “donuts” are basically chocolate zucchini bread baked into a round shape, glazed and topped with sprinkles. Do my kids know or care? Nope. They still get their donuts. I get them to eat their veggies. Win-win. The blend of maple syrup and chocolate is a beautiful thing that only nature can properly explain in scientific terms but I’ll just tell you, it’s good. Real good. The more “real” the maple syrup the better, but if you’re trying to avoid calories, it’s fine to go with a light maple syrup.
Finally, let’s talk about the sprinkles. If you’re lucky enough to live near an Amish or country market, you will likely find an aisle full of fun sprinkles. Typically the sprinkles come in square, plastic packaging. No shaker cap. So, if you’re a bulk-sprinkle-buyer, a really handy thing to have is a few mason jars and these shaker caps. The caps fit on any sized mason jar with a regular mouth. I’ve found they work great for storing and shaking out breadcrumbs, powdered sugar and also acts as a lazy-man’s sifter for flour too!
So, go ahead and get your kids to help you make this fun, easy recipe and enjoy some donuts—guilt-free!
Things you will need for this recipe: a donut pan, a mixer, and a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 18 donuts
Chocolate Maple Zucchini Donuts
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) special dark coca powder
- 1 cup(s) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) coconut oil
- 1/2 maple syrup
- 2 cup(s) shredded zucchini
- 2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a larger bowl, using a mixer, beat together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil, maple syrup and shredded zucchini.
- Add dry ingredients slowly until batter is formed. Spoon batter into greased and floured donut pan, filling 3/4 of the way to the top of the pan.
- Bake at 350˚ for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove donuts from oven and flip onto a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze topping, use a glass measuring cup to melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Use 30-second increments stirring in between until melted all the way through (about 1 minute) Stir in syrup then pour over top each donut. Immediately add sprinkles so they stick. If you want a thicker icing to pipe on, add less maple syrup to the icing.
- 1/2 cup(s) chocolate chips (use white or milk chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon(s) maple syrup (depending on if you want a glaze or piped icing)
|Retail USA Shipping||$4.99 per order.||Free shipping over $30.00|
Flat Rate US Shipping $4.99
Free US Shipping over $30
reCAP products are packaged and shipped from Erie, PA, and we make every effort to ensure your order is packaged securely and shipped promptly. Products typically ship within two business days via the United States Postal Service.
Our fulfillment center operates Monday-Friday and ships product 24-48 hours of order placement. The delivery estimate begins upon order fulfillment. Carriers are not guaranteeing on-time delivery at this time.
US customers, please notify us within 14 days from your order date if you do not receive your package.
Shipping costs are non-refundable for undelivered, unclaimed or returned packages unless there is a merchant error. We are not responsible for damages incurred during shipping or for packages delivered to an incorrect address. Orders typically ship within two business days.
For consumer protection, all orders are subject to review, including credit card authorization and address verification. As a result, on occasion there may be a slight delay in order processing; your patience is greatly appreciated. While Mason Jars Company works closely with its vendors to ensure timely shipment of your order, various factors can impact the carrier's ability to deliver within the expected time frame, including your location, weather, the carrier, holidays, and other unforeseen events that may delay shipping time.
Retail customers will receive free shipping on any order over $30.
Customers may return new, unopened items at their own expense within 30 days of delivery for a full product refund (shipping costs on the order are not refunded). Items should be returned in their original product packaging. Shipping return costs will be refunded only if the return is a result of a merchant error.
Refunds will not be given after 30 days, unless there is a proven product defect. If a product is believed to be defective, a picture showing the defective item with the order number sent to Contact@masonjars.com is necessary in order to complete the refund transaction. Mason Jars Company reserves the right to update or modify the terms of the Exchange & Return Policy at any time.