Skip To The Content Buy The Products Used In This How To
Essential Oil Therapy Gel Paints in Mason Jars
January 17, 2018 by Mason Jars Company
A colorful spring and summertime activity for kids and adults who need an aromatherapy/painting session!
You’ll love the vibrant, sunny colors and soothing aromas of the gel paints. Plus, the paint’s thick texture makes it fun to paint with, so kids will have a blast as well! Just be sure to keep clothes and the work surfaces covered, since these paints can stain.
We used lavender, peppermint, and vanilla essential oils, but you can also use flavoring extracts as well. Large pieces of recycled paper worked well as our canvas.
Two weeks later these paints are still fresh (thanks to the reCAP FLIP Mason jar lids!)
• 1/2 cup of Cornstarch
• 2 1/2 cup of Cold Water
• Food Coloring
• Flavoring Extracts (Kid Friendly) or Essential Oils
• Medium Sized Sauce Pan
• 7 Small Jelly Jars
• 7 FLIP Mason jar lids
• Paint Brushes
1. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and .5 cups of water.
2. Add 2 cups of water to the medium saucepan and turn up the heat to high.
3. SLOWLY pour in the water and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan, whisking vigorously.
4. When all the paint base has come to a gel-like consistency, immediately remove from heat. (this happens very quickly once it is hot, watch carefully.)
5. Let it cool for a few minutes then divide evenly into jelly jars.
6. Now the fun begins! Add 3-5 drops of food coloring to each jar then mix well with a spoon until the paint is evenly colored.
7. Add 1/8 tsp of your favorite essential oils or flavoring to each jar.
8. Cap the jars off with reCAP FLIPs to store and keep your paints fresh.
*These paints will stain, so keep child’s clothes and work surfaces covered. Enjoy!
Meet Mason Jars Company , Makers of reCAP®
We create solutions that enrich your life. The original reCAP products are the world's first multi-purpose Mason jar caps and are Made in America!