Apple, Ginger, and Orange Sauerkraut Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Ready Time: 1 months
Sauerkraut's versatility, health benefits, and easy prep make it a prime choice for fermentation newbies. Not only does this recipe produce delicious 'kraut, but it also brings out the exciting health benefits, traditions, and trivia that come with this sweet and spicy favorite.
Sauerkraut: Tradition And Health Benefits
Before the days of freezers and refrigeration, foods like sauerkraut were developed as a way to preserve the bounty of summer long into the winter months. In fact, sailors used to pack sauerkraut for long voyages as its high vitamin C content prevented scurvy.
What’s more, sauerkraut is full of probiotics, which are well known to aid in digestion and nutrient absorption. The addition of probiotics is what makes sauerkraut more nutritious than coleslaw or raw cabbage. However, even fermented, you still get the iron and fiber benefits that come with eating leafy greens.
In German culture, eating sauerkraut and pork on New Year's Day is a tradition thought to bring about good luck. Germans considered the pork "lucky" because pigs use their snouts to root around using a forward motion, and on New Year's Day, you should be looking forward. They also thought cabbage symbolized luck as it's green like the color of money.
While it's a delicious New Year's tradition, you don't need to limit your 'kraut consumption to just one day a year. Enjoy sauerkraut with a hot dog at your Fourth of July picnic, or use it like salsa in a wrap.
Other ways to incorporate sauerkraut:
Add it to a baked potato instead of sour cream for a healthier topping
Swap cheese for sauerkraut on top of a burger
Replace the lemon in your favorite hummus recipe with sauerkraut brine for a different twist
Add it to mashed potatoes for extra flavor
Blend it with cream cheese to make a probiotic dip
Add it to soups for a flavorful kick
Put it on a sandwich (This is a Pittsburgh favorite).
Blend it into salad dressing for a unique taste, or use the brine instead of salt when making homemade dressing.
And of course, one can't discuss sauerkraut without paying homage to the magical way it transforms a simple corned beef sandwich into the great Reuben.
No matter how you choose to enjoy sauerkraut, making it at home is fun and satisfyingly simple. Click here for a beginner’s sauerkraut recipe that omits the apples, oranges, and ginger.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Ready Time: 1 months
Apple, Ginger, and Orange Kraut
- 1 Head of cabbage, Peel off two outside leaves of the cabbage and set aside. Shred the rest of the cabbage.
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 2 Green apples , chopped into thin slices -
- 2 inches of ginger grated or 1/4 cup of ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) Himalayan Sea Salt (included in our Fermenting Starter Kit)
- Pure water
- 1 Wide mouth Mason jar (A half gallon works well)
- 1 reCAP Pour lid and fermenter
- Peel off two outside leaves of the cabbage and set aside. Add the remaining cabbage, apples, ginger and sea salt into a large bowl. Don’t go overboard with the apples. They tend to get very soft when fermented and you want your overall Kraut mixture to stay crunchy!
- Use your hands to mix and massage the cabbage mixture for about 5 min. The cabbage will start to breakdown and become wet. This is the brine. Pack the cabbage mixture into a large glass container or mason jar and place the orange slices around the sides of the jar for a decorative look (optional).
- Continue to add the cabbage mixture and oranges until there is about 2-3 inches of space from the top and then fill the jar with purified water until it just covers the cabbage.
- Roll the cabbage leaves up and place them on top of the mixture. These are used to hold the sauerkraut below the water line. Add the jelly jar as weight.
- Add the reCAP POUR lid and fermenter to the Mason jar. Store away from sunlight.
- After one month, your Kraut will be ready. Refrigerate after opening. You can keep everything right in the jar to store in the refrigerator with the reCAP POUR lid. The sauerkraut will stay fresh for a couple months.
|Retail USA Shipping||$4.99 per order.||Free shipping over $30.00|
Flat Rate US Shipping $4.99
Free US Shipping over $30
reCAP products are packaged and shipped from Erie, PA, and we make every effort to ensure your order is packaged securely and shipped promptly. Products typically ship within two business days via the United States Postal Service.
Our fulfillment center operates Monday-Friday and ships product 24-48 hours of order placement. The delivery estimate begins upon order fulfillment. Carriers are not guaranteeing on-time delivery at this time.
US customers, please notify us within 14 days from your order date if you do not receive your package.
Shipping costs are non-refundable for undelivered, unclaimed or returned packages unless there is a merchant error. We are not responsible for damages incurred during shipping or for packages delivered to an incorrect address. Orders typically ship within two business days.
For consumer protection, all orders are subject to review, including credit card authorization and address verification. As a result, on occasion there may be a slight delay in order processing; your patience is greatly appreciated. While Mason Jars Company works closely with its vendors to ensure timely shipment of your order, various factors can impact the carrier's ability to deliver within the expected time frame, including your location, weather, the carrier, holidays, and other unforeseen events that may delay shipping time.
Retail customers will receive free shipping on any order over $30.
Customers may return new, unopened items at their own expense within 30 days of delivery for a full product refund (shipping costs on the order are not refunded). Items should be returned in their original product packaging. Shipping return costs will be refunded only if the return is a result of a merchant error.
Refunds will not be given after 30 days, unless there is a proven product defect. If a product is believed to be defective, a picture showing the defective item with the order number sent to Contact@masonjars.com is necessary in order to complete the refund transaction. Mason Jars Company reserves the right to update or modify the terms of the Exchange & Return Policy at any time.