Posted by Jade on April 03, 2017
Here’s one of our favorite reCAP DIY projects to date! A colorful and fun springtime activity for kids (or adults who need an aroma therapy/painting session!) Just a few ingredients + reCAP Mason jar lids!
You’ll love the vibrant springtime colors and soothing aromas of the gel paints. Plus, the paint’s thick texture makes it fun to paint with, so kids will have a blast as well! Just be sure to keep clothes and the work surfaces covered, since these paints can stain.
We used lavender, peppermint, and vanilla essential oils, but you can also use flavoring extracts as well. Large pieces of recycled paper worked well as our canvas.
2 weeks later our paints are still fresh (thanks to the reCAP FLIP Mason jar lids!)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and .5 cups of water.
2. . Add 2 cups of water to the medium sauce pan and turn up the heat to high.
3. SLOWLY pour in the water and cornstarch mixture to the sauce pan, whisking vigorously.
4. When all the paint base has come to a gel like consistency, immediately remove from heat. (this happens very quickly once it is hot, watch carefully.)
5. Let it cool for a few minutes then divide evenly into jelly jars.
6. Now the fun begins! Add 3-5 drops of food coloring to each jar then mix well with a spoon until the paint is evenly colored.
7. Add 1/8 tsp of your favorite essential oils or flavoring to each jar.
8. Cap the jars off with reCAP FLIPs to store and keep your paints fresh.
*These paints will stain, so keep child’s clothes and work surfaces covered. Enjoy!
Ready to create your own aromatherapy painting session?